Having a great smile is everyone’s desire, which is why oral hygiene is very important. You get to speak clearly, taste delicious food and have the brightest smile. Here are 16 steps you can take to promote good oral hygiene.
- Brush twice a day, last thing before going to sleep at night and in the morning (preferably after breakfast at home).
- Use a soft or medium textured toothbrush.
- Change your toothbrush every three months, whether the bristles are damaged or not. Change if bristles are flaring off and it’s less than 3 months.
- Use of mouthwash is advisable.
- Always drink water after eating and after drinking beverages that contain sugar.
- Always visit your dentist twice in a year for routine scaling and polishing.
- Eat fruits, as they help in the scrubbing action and help remove plaque.
- Chew sugarless gums like Orbit to stimulate saliva secretion which helps in regular cleansing of the mouth during the day for people who hardly talk during work.
- Talking during the day helps to secrete saliva as well which helps to refresh and clean the mouth.
- Learn good toothbrushing techniques.
- Always brush the tongue with a tongue cleanser gently.
- Use dental floss to clean in-between the teeth and to remove fibres after eating. Do not use the sharp tip of the floss.
- Use desensitizing toothpaste if you have hypersensitivity. Visit a dentist for this as these toothpastes are treated as drugs.
- Keep all toothpaste away from the reach of children.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks and beverages.
- Lick sweets and chocolate. Do not chew them as they can easily stick to the pits in the teeth.
Dr Ope Okunbor, Medical Operations